U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

GTR Home > Genes

DGUOK deoxyguanosine kinase

Gene ID: 1716, updated on 4-Dec-2023
Gene type: protein coding
Also known as: dGK; NCPH; NCPH1; PEOB4; MTDPS3


In mammalian cells, the phosphorylation of purine deoxyribonucleosides is mediated predominantly by two deoxyribonucleoside kinases, cytosolic deoxycytidine kinase and mitochondrial deoxyguanosine kinase. The protein encoded by this gene is responsible for phosphorylation of purine deoxyribonucleosides in the mitochondrial matrix. In addition, this protein phosphorylates several purine deoxyribonucleoside analogs used in the treatment of lymphoproliferative disorders, and this phosphorylation is critical for the effectiveness of the analogs. Alternative splice variants encoding different protein isoforms have been described for this gene. [provided by RefSeq, Jul 2008]

Associated conditions

See all available tests in GTR for this gene

Adult-onset multiple mitochondrial DNA deletion syndrome due to DGUOK deficiency
MedGen: C4310733OMIM: 617070GeneReviews: Not available
See labs
Genome-wide association scan for survival on dialysis in African-Americans with type 2 diabetes.
GeneReviews: Not available
Meta-analysis followed by replication identifies loci in or near CDKN1B, TET3, CD80, DRAM1, and ARID5B as associated with systemic lupus erythematosus in Asians.
GeneReviews: Not available
Mitochondrial DNA depletion syndrome 3 (hepatocerebral type)See labs
Portal hypertension, noncirrhotic, 1
MedGen: CN305369OMIM: 617068GeneReviews: Not available
See labs

Genomic context

Chromosome: 2; NC_000002.12 (73926880..73958946)
Total number of exons:


IMPORTANT NOTE: NIH does not independently verify information submitted to the GTR; it relies on submitters to provide information that is accurate and not misleading. NIH makes no endorsements of tests or laboratories listed in the GTR. GTR is not a substitute for medical advice. Patients and consumers with specific questions about a genetic test should contact a health care provider or a genetics professional.